Mumbai: Amid speculations of his further continuation with the Indian team, Anil Kumble stepped down as the head coach of the Indian Cricket Team on Tuesday.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCC) confirmed that Kumble has withdrawn his services as the post of the head coach for the Senior India Men’s team.
While the Cricket Advisory Committee had endorsed an extension to his tenure as head coach, Anil Kumble has decided not to continue as the coach.
He was appointed the coach over Ravi Sashtri by the Cricket Advisory Committee which comprises former Indian cricketers like Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman, last year.
Amitabh Choudhary, Acting Secretary of the BCCI, said: “We wish to place on record our sincere appreciation for the immense contribution by Anil Kumble to the team which enabled India to attain the No1 Test position. Indian cricket needs his continued contribution in various capacities and wishes him all the best in his future endeavour.”
The BCCI is now seeking the assistance of the Cricket Advisory Committee in its search for a new head coach for the Senior India Men’s Cricket Team.
In the interim, the BCCI has deputed MV Sridhar, GM – Cricket Operations to supervise the Team Management for the West Indies tour which will commence from June 23.
Rumours were going on for last few months about the possible rift between Indian captain Virat Kohli and coach Anil Kumble though the news was not confirmed any way.
Kohli, in a press conference during Champions Trophy this month, said these were made up stories by the media. It was nothing but the minor disagreement between them, he said.
Prior to the end of Champions Trophy, BCCI had also put up a notice for the selection of a new coach. While Virender Sehwag applied for the job, Kumble was given a free entry to the process.
–India Blooms News Service
Image: Official site of BCCI.