New Delhi: Amid the Padmavati row, Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) chief Prasoon Joshi has criticised the makers of the Deepika Padukone-starrer film for private screenings before getting a certification, media reports said.
Joshi’s comments came after the film was shown to selected media houses as the controversy regarding the film’s content continues on one hand.
Joshi told media that such an activity by the Padmavati makers compromised the system’s role in the film industry.
Padmavati evoked a huge controversy after several fringe groups alleged that director Sanjay Leela Bhansali has distorted history in his upcoming film.
The groups have even said they will not allow the portrayal of Rani Padmini, to be played by Padukone, in a wrong way.
Taking the controversy to a new low, a Karni Sena leader has threatened to chop off actor Deepika Padukone’s nose as the latter reacted sharply to the ongoing controversy centred on the film recently.
Reacting sharply to the vandalisation of a Kota mall recently, Padukone said people have regressed as a nation. “It’s appalling, it’s absolutely appalling. What have we gotten ourselves into? And where have we reached as a nation? We have regressed.”
The actress even said nothing can stop the release of the film, drawing comments from the leaders of Karni Sena.
Reacting to it, threats were issued to do physical harm to Padukone.
Padukone had earlier urged Information and Broadcasting minister Smriti Irani to take legal actions after few protesters who had vandalised artist Karan K’s Rangoli, which was inspired by film Padmavati.
The Supreme Court has recently dismissed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) demanding a stay on the release of Bhansali’s film Padmavati.
The top court suggested that the Censor Board should take an independent view over the issue, saying it can’t substitute role of CBFC.
Amid the running feuds, the Censor Board, has sent the movie back to the makers as the application for the certification was “incomplete.”
According to media reports, the application was sent back to the filmmakers through an online process on November 16.