BIHARPOST NEWS DESK
PATNA: The Supreme Court on Wednesday transferred all the 16 cases related to the care home sex scandals in Bihar to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in what has come as a major setback to the chief minister Nitish Kumar-led NDA government in the state.
A bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur transferred the investigation to the CBI, dismissing the Bihar government’s requests about not to do so, news agency PTI reported today. The investigation into all these cases so far were being carried out by the Bihar police.
The order comes in the light of the report of the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) wherein it had mentioned about the mental and sexual exploitation of inmates.
The CBI currently is already investigating the Muzaffarpur care home sex scandal where at least 34 girls were allegedly raped.
The apex court also said CBI officers probing the shelter home cases in Bihar shall not be transferred without its prior permission, according to the PTI.
Only yesterday, the SC had asked the counsel appearing for the CBI lawyer to take instruction if CBI can investigate the cases relating to sexual assault in nine out of 17 shelter homes in Bihar as named in the TISS report.
The court had made these observations while expressing strong displeasure over the Bihar government failing to initiate proper action against the shelter homes where the children were allegedly sexually abused and also going soft on the accused persons.
A bench headed by Justice Lokur expressed deep annoyance after finding that some of the children were allegedly sodomised yet the police didn’t invoke the appropriate IPC section.
“What are you (Bihar government) doing? It’s shameful. If the child is sodomised you say it’s nothing? How can you do this? It’s inhuman. We were told that matter will be looked with great seriousness, this is seriousness? Every time I read this file it’s tragic,” the court said, according to news agency ANI.
Bihar opposition leader and RJD legislator Tejashwi Yadav used the court’s observations to launch fresh attacks on the Bihar government.
“It took two months to file FIR in the case and even then the name of the main accused wasn’t included. All the names coming up in the case are of those close to Nitish Kumar. The CM is trying his best to brush the case under the carpet,” Tejashwi has alleged.