Indian patient given acid instead of water to swallow pills, dies

Indian patient given acid instead of water to swallow pills, dies

PATNA: A woman in Bihar died after the compounder served her acid to swallow the tablet the doctor had prescribed at an eye clinic.

The horrible incident took place at a private eye clinic in Muzaffarpur town, some 80 km north of Patna, on Wednesday.

The woman identified as Shyamali Devi had been admitted to the clinic of Dr Amarendra Jha for her cataract surgery scheduled on Wednesday.

Reports said soon after her admission, the doctor checked the patient and prescribed her some medicines before the operation could start.

After purchasing medicines, the woman sought for water from the compounder to swallow the pills. However, the compounder offered her a water bottle filled with acid apparently by mistake.

Without suspecting anything, she opened the cork and hurriedly drank mouthful of acid to swallow the pills. Very soon she turned restless and vomited on the ground, and it was only then that the family came to know that she had been offered acid, instead of water.

“The compounder handed her the bottle saying it is fridge water but she turned restless and fainted on the ground after drinking the liquid and died soon thereafter,” a local senior police official in-charge of the investigation Dharmendra Kumar told the Gulf News by phone on Thursday, quoting victim’s family members.

Victim’s grandson Kundan Kumar said compounder asked her not to roam around for water and offered her a while-coloured bottle. “Whether he did it intentionally or by mistake but my grandmother turned serious soon after drinking the liquid,” Kundan told the media today.

Reports said soon after the doctor came to know of the incident, he got the woman admitted to another hospital for treatment but she died soon thereafter. The compounder is absconding after the incident. Family members said the acid caused boils in her throats and jaws and she was restless.

Angry victim family members today created ruckus at the eye clinic soon after the patient died and demanded action against the culprit whose negligence led to the death of the patients. The police have registered the case and further investigation is on.

Courtesy: Gulf News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Latest Posts